• November 2004

Då var det inbetalt en liten peng. Går otroligt smidigt via Paypal

Christian Alfredsson
    Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

• admin
      Christian Alfredsson

• November 2004

Då var det inbetalt en liten peng igen. Det kommer uppdateringar om läget i september enligt AD.

Christian Alfredsson
      Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

• admin
        Christian Alfredsson

• November 2004

Betalade in pengar som vanligt varje månad. Fick detta svar från Ad

Thank you very much again, Christian.
        I'm still in Africa (Kipili) and will be back 16th Oct. We released some P.saulosi and I will have a report by the end of the month!
        Best regards,
        Ad
        Roligt att de fyller på med hotad fisk i sjön och det kommer en rapport. Jag lägger in den här när jag får den

Christian Alfredsson
        Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

• admin
          Christian Alfredsson

• November 2004

Brev från AD

Dear Friends,

I'm just back from Africa where we were able to release the first P. saulosi back into the lake! There were not many available but 32 more than were there before. Read other important news and see a video clip of the release here:

Just a few days ago I found out that Craig Zytkow in Zambia has good results protecting cichlids in the Lake Tanganyika portion of Sumbu National Park. Check out his website here: http://conservationtanganyika.org/

Thank you all for your support!
          Ad
          Christian Alfredsson
          Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
            Administrator

• December 2001

Intressant info
            Akvaristiska hälsningar
            Kjell
            Signatur 1. Frustra laborat qui omnibus placere studet
            Signatur 2. Jag är inte tillräckligt ung för att kunna allt och inte heller tillräckligt gammal för att ha glömt allt.

Kommentar

• admin
              Christian Alfredsson

• November 2004

Here I release the first 32 captive raised Pseudotropheus saulosi that were available in September 2013 from Stuart Grant Ltd at Taiwanee Reef.

Roligt att se dem släppas ut istället för att fångas.
              Christian Alfredsson
              Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

• admin
                Christian Alfredsson

• November 2004

Har nu betalat in lite pengar till. Det gör jag varje månad. Frågade Ad om det var fler från Sverige som skänkte pengar. Baserat på svaret så skänk gärna en slant nu.

Christian Alfredsson
                Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
                  Administrator

• December 2001

Ny info från Ad Konings

DearCichlid Friend,
                  Thereis good news from several fronts where we are trying to protect Malawicichlids.
                  Youall remember the 32 juvenile P. saulosi we released at Taiwanee Reeflast September and why there were so few (see previous update). The good newsis that since then, David Nkhwazi of Stuart Grant Ltd. managed to breed about500 new P. saulosi that are ready to be reintroduced at Taiwanee Reef.He also managed to collect some breeding stock of Melanochromis chipokaeand he has already about 100 juveniles to be reintroduced at Chidunga Rocks.Thank you, David!! At the moment we are looking for a SCUBA diver who couldvideo the release of these fish at one or both sites. If necessary I’ll providea small GoPro video camera but I’m not aware of any visitor going to Malawisoon. If you know of anyone interested to do this for us, please let me know.

ANDsand markers
                  RecentlyI received an email from Estelle and Matt at the Blue Zebra Island Lodge thatthey started to place floaters that will demarcate clearly the 100 meter nofishing zone around the Maleri islands. By doing so there will be no furtherdisputes between the fishermen and park guards about where exactly the boundaryis. Matt is using the pneumatic drill and the compressed air in a dive tank todrill holes in the rocks underwater. The floaters consist of discarded gastanks that have been modified so that they cannot be used as cooking pots orfor any other household purpose. They painted LMNP on top of them in yellow asrequired by the park. They did this together with the park rangers and havealready placed at least 10 floaters. They intend to complete this demarcationbefore they will place the ANDs. Thanks Matt & Estelle!!

Othernews items that Estelle mentioned:
                  -There is a new patrol captain, Charles, and he is really willing to fightagainst poachers. We have changed our way of patrolling and he will come moreoften and for shorter periods on unexpected visits (so that fishermen cannot beadvised).

-Last but not least: the small camping hut for the park rangers has been builton the largest island (Maleri).

Unfortunatelyfishermen are still around and are now coming with bigger boats and nets.We are trying to take pictures of the boats when we see them, file the picturesand report to the park guards who then report to TA.... A long process, but weare optimistic!

Boat
                  Thereis also some good news on the diesel engine that we provided a while ago.Dimitri located a suitable (aluminum) boat and he is currently negotiating thefitting of the diesel engine. The boat, however, will be custom made and theprice tag will be somewhere around the $14,000 mark. He chose for aluminum asit will be much more durable than wood or fiberglass, and it will be maintainedand anchored right at the lodge. At this point we have about $10,000 in thefund available (also thanks to a very generous donation at the end of last yearby Dick Au, thank you Dick!) and have asked Dimitri how we can assist inrealizing this diesel boat for the park guards.

Encouragingnews all around. The online update will have some photographs I received fromDavid and from Estelle ( http://cichlidpress.com/smgfund/smgfund24.html).

Asalways THANK YOU very much for your continued support!
                  Enjoyyour cichlids!

Ad
                  Akvaristiska hälsningar
                  Kjell
                  Signatur 2. Jag är inte tillräckligt ung för att kunna allt och inte heller tillräckligt gammal för att ha glömt allt.

Kommentar

• admin
                    Christian Alfredsson

• November 2004

Här är en video om Stuart Grant och varför man ska donera pengar

Donate here using the donate button - http://africancichlidhub.com/forum/index.php?action=donation THANK YOU!!!!!! Amount Donated So Far: $90.00Stuart M. Gra...

Jag har själv klickat i så den automatiskt drar pengar varje månad via Paypal. Smidig!

Här kan du donera: http://www.cichlidpress.com/smgfund/index.html
                    Christian Alfredsson
                    Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
                      Administrator

• December 2001

Ny uppdatering från Ad Konings
                      Texten kan ni läsa nedan - men gå hellre in på denna sida och läs texten och kolla på foton

Dear cichlid friend,

It has been a long time since the last update, but we have some great news. To start off, David Nkhwazi had 104 juveniles/subadults of P. saulosi ready to be released early September when Larry Johnson and his safari participants arrived in Malawi. Again David has had problems with the weather in May and June which is the coldest time of year in Malawi. Juveniles are of course the most vulnerable fish, but the ones that survived the cold were looking good and bigger than those we released last year.

Second release of P. saulosi
                      Larry and friends took the bagged fish up north and their first stop was Taiwanee Reef to release them. Before they released the fish Larry and three other divers swam around for 15 minutes and did a count of the P. saulosi theysaw. Last year we did the same rough estimate of the number of P. saulosi and then we encountered on average 40 fish. This year Larry and his team countedon average 55 P. saulosi! Although this is significantly more than the year before I don’t think it was caused by our initial introduction. It is because of concerned hobbyists like you who do no longer demand wild-caught P.saulosi and so, I think, there is now less pressure on the population. Thiswould also mean that P. saulosi can recover when they abandon fishing for a few years. Larry estimated that with a few losses during transport he and his friends released about 92 P. saulosi, about three times as many as last year! Great news all around! Thank you so much David, Larry, Pete Barnes,Marc Boulton, Kathy Brown, Dave Hale, Greg Irvine, and others who assisted them. The video clip was shot by Pete Barnes. Thank you, Pete!

We have got a guard boat!
                      Dimitri wrote me three weeks ago that they had finally found a suitable boat for our diesel engine. The previous candidates were too big and too expensive for our purpose, but now they located a 6 meter-long boat which they can adapt to fit the engine. Dimitri had already brought the engine back to South Africa where the company doing the fitting is located—Dimitri paid for all transport back and forth between South Africa and Malawi. The boat with the placement of the engine and everything else necessary will cost us about $14,000. Jay Stauffer and I agreed to go ahead and purchase the boat with the fund’s funds. Thank you very much Dimitri! I can’t wait to see a photo of it on Lake Malawi.

Children get involved!
                      Estelle and Matt at the Blue Zebra Island Lodge continued placing the 100 meter no fishing zone markers. They have now at least 25 buoys placed around Nankoma and Maleri islands. But they did something much more important: on July 16ththey started their educational program whereby groups of children (15 pergroup) visit the lodge. Estelle and Matt, together with Malawi National Park’s game scouts, want to raise awareness of the conservation issues among young people and invited the children, 12 to 17 years of age, of the Maganga Primary and Secondary School’s Wildlife Club for a visit. Apart from giving the children insights in the lodge’s operation they were also taught about the benefits of the environment and in protecting the cichlids. After a good meal provided by the lodge, they headed to the conference room for a dynamic debate about the environment’s growing concern for future generations which was monitored by Dennis, the park ranger. Dennis mainly discussed the problems of overfishing with the children and what they could do about it. The visit was ahuge success and is planned to take place once every month. Thank you, Matt, Estelle, Dennis, Dimitri!

Breeding endangered Lake Tanganyika cichlids
                      AsI mentioned in the last update Chris and Louise Horsfall were planning to breed and reintroduce overfished cichlids. Chris now has made a very professional design for eight vats with shade covers (see figure) and which are supplied by lake water on a continuous basis using a solar pump. They run everything at their Lakeshore Lodge on solar power and also have a solar pump in operation for the lodge’s water supply. Chris likes to use a similar set up for the breeding vats as it proved to work perfectly for many years. He sent me an estimate of how much all would cost (he’s a builder by profession so he knows) and all together with solar pump, panels, switches, etc, would run about $15,000. I hope you all agree that the fund pays for this important endeavor.
                      At present the species most at risk in Lake Tanganyika are Tropheus duboisi“Maswa”, Tropheus moorii “Tanzania Murago” (just heard that an exporter found the tiny population, so we need to work on that fish as soon as possible before they are all gone), Ophthalmotilapia boops “Blue Neon”, and Petrochromissp. ‘red’ (which we’ll keep for last as that will be the most difficult to breed).

Many donations
                      I’m very pleased to let you know that more and more concerned aquarists are donating to the cause. I would like to highlight a few of large and far away donations.
                      Wojciech Sierakowski of the Klub Malawi in Poland (www.klub-malawi.pl)organized an auction among their members in April this year which culminated in a donation of $716! Thank you Wojciech!
                      We received a donation from an unfortunate event, i.e. the dismantling of the Minnesota chapter of the Midwest Cichlid Association, of $640! Thank you Bob Randall for thinking of cichlid conservation!
                      The Babes In The Cichlid Hobby donated this year a staggering $3000! You don’t paya dmission to their great parties, uhhh, auctions, but you really want to reward their efforts in raising awareness of conservation. Thank you ladies!
                      The most interesting effort of raising money for cichlid conservation was performed by Dave Schumacher of Dave’s Rare Aquarium Fish. He challenged the East Coast Monster Fish Konvention (a convention put on jointly by East Coast Cichlids and Monster Fish Keepers in NJ), where he spoke in August, that because they had given him a hard time about his hair and beard they could cut his hair or trim his beard however they'd liked, if they could raise $1000 for the Stuart Grant Fund. Well, they raised over $1100 on fundrazr.com even before the convention started, and by the end of the convention, they had raised $2315 in total!! If you consider the cut they gave Dave’s hair you understand his commitment to saving cichlids! Wild idea, Dave! Thanks for keeping the cichlids in the wild as well! Dave’s response: “My hair will come back, but there are many Malawi cichlids that won't.”

My sincere thanks to all other private sponsors; without your commitment there would be less cheerful news to report. Together we can save cichlids from extinction. Enjoy your cichlids!
                      Ad
                      Senast redigerad av Kjell Fohrman; 08 October 2014, 21:25.
                      Akvaristiska hälsningar
                      Kjell

Kommentar

• admin
                        Christian Alfredsson

• November 2004

Här är en ny film från Malawisjön

►SUBSCRIBE - http://goo.gl/1OeGuFacebook - https://www.facebook.com/bolly12345Forum - http://www.africancichlidhub.com/forumWebsite - http://africancichlidhu...
                        Christian Alfredsson
                        Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

• admin
                          Christian Alfredsson

• November 2004

Så här till jul så är det dags att skänka en extra gåva till fonden för att rädda Malawiciklider.

►SUBSCRIBE - http://goo.gl/1OeGuFacebook - https://www.facebook.com/bolly12345Forum - http://www.africancichlidhub.com/forumWebsite - http://africancichlidhu...
                          Christian Alfredsson
                          Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
                            Administrator

• December 2001

Bra tanke
                            Akvaristiska hälsningar
                            Kjell

Kommentar

• admin
                              Christian Alfredsson

• November 2004

Då har jag skänkt lite mer än vanligt.
                              Christian Alfredsson
                              Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
                                Administrator

• December 2001

En ny rapport från Ad Konings

Dear Friends

Lake Tanganyika
                                You may have heard through the grapevine that the so-called Tanzania Murago is still around in the lake. A few friends and I visited the site last July and although the population has suffered visibly, the species is still there. I estimate that about 50% of the population has been removed and, interestingly, the fish from adjoining areas did not (yet?) occupy the empty space from where the Tropheus was caught. So snorkelers swimming in one direction didn’t see a single individual while those in the opposite direction started to find them in seemingly normal numbers. We were all relieved. Let’s hope that those aquarists keeping this form breed them in sufficient quantities so that we don’t need to rely on the natural population.

The breeding station set up at the Lakeshore Lodge in Kipili is progressing. Chris had been waiting for a compound to put on the inside of the vats to seal them, which he has applied in the meantime. Last week he and his staff dug a 500-foot-long trench from the lake to near the vats to hold the water intakeline from the solar pump at one end, to a 5000-liter container on the other.

Omega One has already contributed to the Fund through the sale of their Frozen Cichlid Formula—Thank you!—and Kelly Randall, the marketing director of Omega Sea, has also sent a box with Super Kelp Flakes to Kipili as food for the breeders. Great!

Lake Malawi
                                We have also news from Matt, manager of the Blue Zebra Lodge on the Maleri Islands in Malawi. He anticipates more pressure on the fishing around the islands because of the poor rainy season leaving the lake almost two feet lower compared to last year and thus affecting crop yields. Matt also supplied a list of illegal activities recorded on and around the Maleri Islands and found that they are in better control of the illegal fishing.

January to March 2014 January to March 2015
                                Illegal fishing 3 1
                                Arrests 17 3
                                Fire places 6 2
                                Tree cutting 1 0
                                He credits the improving numbers to three factors: 1. Change in the routine patrol, 2. increased availability of resources, and 3. higher penalties charged to offenders. Matt thinks that the recorded improvements are due to better prevention (several patrols per month) and also to better dialog with the communities. As an example of the latter he mentions that the local (Maganga Village) soccer team, which is sponsored by the lodge, changed their name from“Fisherman Club” to “Blue Zebra Club”.

Nevertheless,Matt remarks, their efforts are not totally persuasive. Every week, he still removes long fishing lines from the no-fishing zone at Nakantenga Island, and six of the ten demarcation floaters he installed last year have gone missing.... Thank you very much for your report, Matt!

There is some progress on the guard’s boat that is being fitted in South Africa. The hull has now been prepared to receive the customized diesel engine and Dimitri hopes the boat will be operational Before the end of the year.

The Fund recently received a big infusion from the Babes In The Cichlid Hobby; a whopping $4,500!! With the help of many donors who supplied them with numerous cichlids and fish-related goods, they auctioned and auctioned during the Springfield ACA convention this summer. Thank you so much, ladies! A good chunk of the donation went straight to Tanzania to assist Chris and Louise incompleting the breeding station.

Thank you ALL for securing the cichlids’ future and for keeping extinction out off our tanks!

Ad Konings
                                Cichlid Press
                                P.O. Box 13608
                                El Paso, TX 79913
                                www.cichlidpress.com
                                www.elpasodesert.com

Nedan visas 2 foton
                                1. Foto på den s.k. Tanzania Muragon som omnämns i början av artikeln
                                2/ Visar grävandet vid odlingsanläggningen vid Lakeshore Lodge i Kipili

Bifogade filer
                                Senast redigerad av Kjell Fohrman; 05 September 2015, 11:13.
                                Akvaristiska hälsningar
                                Kjell

Kommentar

Arbetssätt...