• Show
Rensa alla
nya inlägg
  • Kjell Fohrman
    Administrator

• December 2001

Nytt meddelande från Ad Konings

Dear friends of Malawi,

Alan Pitman, the driving force behind the ANDs, has sent me an e-mail with his comments on an event held near the Maleri islands (A Day at the Races) with the intent to generate funds for the local beach community. I have also received some video clips from Larry Johnson that shows the efforts and result of hauling a beach seine in Lake Malawi. Over the years such seines have been wiping out most of the sand-dwelling cichlid populations in the shallow waters and the result of a 1000ft net is nowadays absolutely not worth the effort, BUT what else is there to do to put a meal on the table?
    Waterlands is helping the beach community by employing more and more of the fishermen who are trying to earn a living by means other than fishing and to give them an alternate form of income. Read all about the "Day at the Races" following this link:

http://cichlidpress.com/smgfund/smgfund11.html

Thank you again for your donations and I'll keep you posted of new
    developments.
    Ad
    Akvaristiska hälsningar
    Kjell
    Signatur 1. Frustra laborat qui omnibus placere studet
    Signatur 2. Jag är inte tillräckligt ung för att kunna allt och inte heller tillräckligt gammal för att ha glömt allt.

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
      Administrator

• December 2001

Jag har nu översatt den artikel som jag länkade till i trådens första inlägg till svenska.
      Den kan ni läsa på denna sida
      Akvaristiska hälsningar
      Kjell
      Signatur 2. Jag är inte tillräckligt ung för att kunna allt och inte heller tillräckligt gammal för att ha glömt allt.

Kommentar

• Markus1984
        • November 2008

Väldigt intressant artikel, och pengarna som vi skänker i detta fall verkar faktiskt hamna i rätt människors händer

Jag brukar vara skeptisk till att skänka pengar då det har varit så många skandaler..

Kommer garanterat sätta in lite stålar när lönen kommer in

(Fast jag har aldrig ägt en ciklid:P)
        Medlem i Västerås Akvarieförening www.vaaf.se!

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
          Administrator

• December 2001

Till och med oktober har fonden än så länge samlat in totalt 8941 USD (ca. 71.000 kr) och av dessa pengar så har de nordiska länderna bidragit med 1977 USD (ca. 13.000 kr) - inte så illa men mer pengar behövs om projektet skall ros iland.

Artikel på svenska om detta projekt http://www.zoopet.com/index.php?opti...sk=view&id=488
          Senast redigerad av Kjell Fohrman; 04 December 2008, 19:33.
          Akvaristiska hälsningar
          Kjell

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
            Administrator

• December 2001

Jag fick ett mail från Ad Konings med lite info om hur projektet fortskrider

Just back from Malawi where, together with 9 other enthusiasts, I saw the ANDs in action! Once you go diving and try to find them without GPS data you´ll have a hard time seeing a single one underwater! Fortunately Alan was there to show us at least one of the devices and after swimming for quite a bit I found another one. Nevertheless, 6 of them are present in the small bay at Nakantenga Island where 7 other SCUBA divers were swimming around.
            Afterwards we visited Alan in his recently completed lodge and discussed the future of Malawi cichlid conservation. Alan said that the ANDs were doing their duty and most local fishermen would not ply their nets within 100 m of the shore of the islands. Nets are costly and the ANDs are very effective. Of the about 150 placed so far two were found removed by cutting (grinding on the rocks) of the steel cable that keeps the device afloat. Some fishermen, however, resorted to fishing with longlines but this should not worry us much regarding the mbuna as they stay close to the rocks and unlikely swim up to the baited hooks on the lines. Nevertheless, when found within the 100 m park zone all fishermen will be chased or arrested.
            Two months ago Pennstate transferred the first $5000 to Waterlands and pipes and steel cable were purchased. Nigel is currently cutting and welding another 100 ANDs which need to be placed soon. Since Alan has a busy schedule he can only work on the ANDs on Saturdays and we thought of a way of helping him place the devices. Therefore we are looking for someone who would devote about three months of his time and assist Alan placing the new ANDs. Alan and I will supply the ticket (not paid for by the fund) and the "intern" will have free stay in Malawi, most of the time in the lodge on Nankoma Island. The only requirement Alan has is that the person be a certified SCUBA diver. There will be dive tanks and compressor available and the intern can dive/snorkel as much as he wants (as long as the ANDs get placed of course).
            Another problem recently presented itself which is China; the Chinese are buying up all scrap metal in the world, even in Malawi, and now it is difficult to find material for anchoring the ANDs. Alan just told me that he secured a number of car wrecks which will be shipped to the lake where Nigel can cut usable pieces that can serve as heavy anchors (too heavy to be lifted out of the water by fishermen standing in their canoes/boats). He is also going to try other ways of anchoring the ANDs.

I was also pleased to see that there are still thousands of cichlids at Nakantenga. I have included some photos (on web). The visibility was not very good as they had had already the first rains of the season. If we find someone interested in working at the Maleri island he can also inventory the various dive spots so that we get some data on the actual situation. For the moment it looks great. Larry Johnson, who was there a few weeks earlier, even thought he found new species at the Maleris! He hadn´t seen some of the species before which were now evident.

Another great news is that various clubs around the world and even stores have held events that generated large sums of money. Craig Morfitt of the Bermuda Fry-Angle Aquarium Society wrote:

The Bermuda Fry-Angle A.S. held our Annual Tropical Fish Show over the past couple of days. On Friday, at our Awards Night, we held a successful charity fish auction thanks to an assortment of fish that were donated by Dan Woodland who was the judge for the show.

The selected charity for the auction was the Lake Malawi anti-netting initiative. I'm pleased to say that the club has decided to make a donation of $1,500 towards this worthy cause!

The Scandinavian cichlid association has an ongoing fund-generating program and up to now has donated $782!

Christophe Barale, who owns the store Paradise Malawi Cichlids in France, held an auction benefiting Malawi cichlids and donated $720 to the fund!

THANKS TO YOU ALL!! Without your input and generosity many Malawi cichlid species will not be there 20 years from now!

Enjoy your cichlids!
            Ad
            denna sida hittar ni samma text som ovan samt några foton.
            Om någon undrar över skillnaden i siffror mellan det belopp som anges ovan för "The Scandinavian Cichlid Association (dvs NCS)" och det belopp som angavs i föregående inlägg så beror detta på att en hel del pengar betalades in innan NCS drog igång sin insamling. Dessa senare pengar är alltså inräknat i det föregående inlägget, men inte i texten ovan.

Hoppas att fler nu sätter igång och skänker pengar till detta projekt.
            Akvaristiska hälsningar
            Kjell

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
              Administrator

• December 2001

Har ni sett erbjudandet i texten ovan.
              Fri resa, samt logi i ca tre månader för den som vill hjälpa till med arbetet att placera ut AND-enheter för att skydda cikliderna. Dyklicens är ett krav. Det är fritt fram att snorkla/dyka utöver jobbet med utplaceringen.
              Synd bara det där med dykcertet annars så
              Akvaristiska hälsningar
              Kjell

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
                Administrator

• December 2001

Jag har nu fått en uppdatering från Mikael Westerlund på NCS om vad som samlats in till fonden under oktober och november.

Donationer av företag: 3 000 SEK
                Donationer av medlemmar: 500 SEK
                Donation av NCS (för 23+17 nya medlemmar, à 50 SEK): 2 000 SEK
                Inalles 5 500 SEK (= ca 683 USD)

Totalt har det nu samlats in 9203 USD till fonden och av detta så kommer 2239 USD från Norden

Fonden har således redan fått in donationer som räcker till för att förse nästan halva kuststräckan i det utvalda området med AND:s. Fortsätter det att flyta på så här bra kommer Fonden att uppnå sin målsättning till sommaren.
                Akvaristiska hälsningar
                Kjell

Kommentar

• Jens A.
                  • March 2007

Ursprungligen postat av Kjell Fohrman
                  Har ni sett erbjudandet i texten ovan.

Synd bara det där med dykcertet annars så
                  Vaaa?? Det måste väl gälla bara folk från USA, eller? Jag har dykcert, nämligen...värre att vara tjänstledig i tre månader, dock. :/
                  Earth first! We´ll screw up the other planets later!

Min Zoon (med flera bilder!): http://www.zoonen.com/minzoon.asp?oid=1252597

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
                    Administrator

• December 2001

Ursprungligen postat av Jens A.
                    Vaaa?? Det måste väl gälla bara folk från USA, eller? Jag har dykcert, nämligen...värre att vara tjänstledig i tre månader, dock. :/
                    Det gäller nog alla - förutsatt att man snackar engelska förstås

Vadå tjänstledig - finns det fortfarande sådana som har ett jobb
                    Akvaristiska hälsningar
                    Kjell

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
                      Administrator

• December 2001

Enligt uppdatering från Ad Konings har det nu kommit in totalt 12.350 USD
                      Akvaristiska hälsningar
                      Kjell

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
                        Administrator

• December 2001

Fick ett mail från NCS om hur det insamlingen fortgår.

Stuart Grants Fond För Bevarande av Malawiciklider har under december fått in 1 600 SEK i donationer gjorda via Nordiska Ciklidsällskapet. NCS fick i december 8 nya medlemmar, för vilka NCS då bidrar 50 SEK. Inalles alltså 2 000 SEK till Fonden.
                        Akvaristiska hälsningar
                        Kjell

Kommentar

• Kjell Fohrman
                          Administrator

• December 2001

Det går för tillfället lite trögt med insamlingen till fonden -
                          enligt uppgift från Ad Konings ligger SG-fonden nu på 12 650 USD
                          Akvaristiska hälsningar
                          Kjell

Kommentar

• admin
                            Christian Alfredsson

• November 2004

Jag satte in en hel hundring nu. Ta gärna efter.

Vi kör väl en hel hundring nästa månad också? Det är svårare att avvara 1200 pix direkt än 100 per månad.
                            Christian Alfredsson
                            Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

• admin
                              Christian Alfredsson

• November 2004

Jag har nu donerat 20 USD. Superlätt via Paypal: http://www.cichlidpress.com/smgfund/smg-donate.html
                              Christian Alfredsson
                              Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

• admin
                                Christian Alfredsson

• November 2004

Idag ska jag betala räkningarna då lönekontot är påfyllt. Donera du också!
                                Christian Alfredsson
                                Tekniskt ansvarig Zoopet

Kommentar

Arbetssätt...