It all started when I found that only one - a eightyfive year old widow - died in Stiby of cholera ... the other twelve were from the fishing village below Stiby Backe (where the cholera cemetery is located).

The fishing village was called - and are called! - Hällevik, and I got a stupid idea about ​​trying to figure out how many percent of Hälleviks inhabitants those twelve were, who died in the cholera ...

Many residents...
The first thing I noticed was that it lived a lot more people there than I thought - namely around 700 -, and divided into age and sex looked the population like this.

Klicka på bilden för större version

Namn: 001.jpg
Visningar: 1
Storlek: 172,4 KB
ID: 2344611
"This is besides the first chart I've ever done on a computer ... (do not ask me to tell you how I did, for I have no idea
)."

Quickly you will see that there lived many more women than men ... Why might it be so? Cholera? Nah, it is innocent of it - because cholera victims are counted in the chart above - and suddenly I realized that there was something else that was much deadlier than cholera ...

A deadlie work...
Residents of Hällevik were fishermen and earned ther living from the ocean ... the ocean, who sooner or later took their lives.

They were known for being talented and courageous professionals ... and their boats where called "vrakekor".
These boats were 6-9 meters long, and had one - sometimes two - pairs of oars, and were provided with a large unbalanced sails. They were hard to maneuver, and required four-man crew, to deal with all networks.

A boat could have up to 80 floating nets on board, as they were fishing herring and cod with by "vraka". Whit "vraka" means that they adding network in the evening and let them drive white the ocean´s movement ... and the boat drifts with the nets because the net is stuck in it.

In the morning, conclusion is then up the entire chain of networks (can be several thousand meters of nets in a chain), and goes towards the land (to take care of the fish, clean nets, sleeping a few hours ... and go out again) ...

This was a dangerous profession - no weather reports that warned of bad weather - but they tried to foresee bad weather. In most cases they managed with that, but sometimes not ... with disastrous consequences .

04.05.1818 Drowned four men (between 21-47 years old) on the open oceans between Kivik and Åhus ...
25.11.1818 Drowned three men (between 39-40 years old) on the open oceans ...
24.01.1821 Drowned one man (32 years old) by careless driving on the ice in the dark inValje bay ...
19.05.1821 Drowned two men (21-30 years old) on the open sea between Sillnäs and Torso ...
06.15.1822 Drowned five men (between 20-32 years old) when the night between 14 & 15 were sailed over in the "vraka"... and the investigation of the unfortunate, also lost their lives. The reason will be too large ballast of stone in the last boat ...
25.01.1824 Drowned two men (22-24 years old) ...
04.07.1827 Drowned two men (38-42 years old) ...
11.10.1832 Drowned four men (between 23-41 years old) ...
06.03.1840 Drowned two men (26-38 years old) ...
20.02.1841 Drowned one man (24 years old) ...
08.05.1841 Drowned one man (19 years old) ...
24.02.1842 Drowned four men (between 20-27 years old) ...
07.01.1842 Drowned two men (35-53 years old) ...
09.18.1844 Drowned a "man" (12 years old) ...
21.08.1845 Drowned seven man (between 24-49 years old) ...
10.02.1846 Drowned one "man" (13 years old) ...
17.10.1846 Drowned one man (21 years old) ...
09.04.1847 Drowned two men (18-67 years old)
15.11.1847 Drowned two men (33-37 years old)...
30.09.1852 Drowned four men (between (18-67 years old) ...

The ocean gives, the ocean takes ... there were many many more in Listerlandet who lost their lives on sea. I have only included those who had home addresses Hällevik, and who drowned between 1818-1853 ...

This is a sad reading ... and more sad it becomes with the song "The brig Blue Bird." .. written by Evert Taube .

Evert Taube was born 1890 in Gothenburg and was a Swedish writer, composer, troubadour and an artist. He will be pictured on the new Swedish 50-krona banknote from 2014 ...

His contribution to the Swedish song treasure (he wrote over 200 songs) ranks him as one of Sweden's best song writers. Some are translated into English, but I can not find any translation of Bluebird ... so I tried to translate it (with Googles help), but there are also a number of lake terms I do not understand at all...

--- ¤ ---- ¤ ---- ¤ ---- ¤ ---- ¤ ---- ¤ ----

Briggen Blue Bird

Klicka på bilden för större version

Namn: 003.jpg
Visningar: 1
Storlek: 157,5 KB
ID: 2344612
It was Blue Bird of Hull
It was Blue Bird, the brig
As with weighted stumps stood on,
over the blight in a snowstorm with down iced rig,
the actual Christmas ewe seventy-two
- Tie the Swede at the helm, he can “dreja” a lever,
call skipper.
- All right boys, loose of!
And Karl Stranne from Smögen
became lashed at the rudder
on Blue Bird, that was doomed to become a
wreck.

He saw Hållö-lighthouse glare,
though the sleet and spray.
He was half-blind
and got them in “lo”,
and out of the wind, where Smögen..
His home, where his mother
just received the letter from Middelsborough
- Well, what do you say Karl?
- Is she ready?
- No, captain! We have to flare, for this is the end.
- We have Hållö to starboard and offenses just to leeward.
- Out with the anchors,and the life boats.
But she did not ride up
and she got a pair of offenses…
which took the boat they had made ready
- I think, said Karl Stranne, that my father passed
against us, I trust on father!

- Boats in lee!
- Boats
in lee!
- It is father, we are here!
- It is father from Smögen. Hello!
- Boats
in lee! he sang out…
- They're here, jump in all men… we are salvaged then.

It was Stranne, the older
a viking, a eagle.
He took his purified spirit
from the corner of the wine cabinet
to invite the shipwrecked on.
- What was the name of the ship?
he asked and struck
nine of the sharp glass drams
- The brig Blue Bird.
The tenth glass, he took
and he struck it against the floor to pieces
- Did you say Blue Bird, captain? The brig Blue Bird of Hull?
- God in heaven where is my son?
- Where is the boy captain, of our saviour's sake?
and there was dead silence among the men in the corner!

The old man Stranne
took slowly of the southwester.
- Save his modern captain, this evening.
- Mention not the name of the brig who have gone onto the rocks.
- Mention not the name Blue Bird of Hull, please.
And the captain got up,
he was gray, he was haggard,
the storm howled hardly heard his words…
when he said with a trembling voice to the host:
- Karl stood lashed and was forgotten on board...

---- ¤ ---- ¤ ---- ¤ ---- ¤ ---- ¤ ---- ¤ ----

I almost begin to cry every time I hear this song on the radio ...